Ubuntu Tweak is an application to config Ubuntu easier for everyone. It provides many useful desktop and system options that the default desktop environment doesn’t provide. With its help, you will enjoy with the experience of Ubuntu!
Ubuntu Tweak is an application designed to config Ubuntu easier for everyone. It provides many useful desktop and system options that the default desktop environment doesn’t provide. At present, it’s only designed for the Ubuntu GNOME Desktop, and always follows the newest Ubuntu distribution.
To install Ubuntu Tweak 0.5.5 open a Terminal window (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and copy+paste the following lines:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
Note: If you already have Ubuntu Tweak installed with the Tualatrix PPA Ubuntu Tweak is automaticly updated to 0.5.6 version
One of Ubuntu Tweak new feuatures is Desktop Recovery, Desktop Recovery is a tool integrated into Ubuntu Tweak to help people safely tweak their desktop settings, and never worry about how to go back.
It has three basic actions:
* Backup: backup the current settings, keep as many as backups you want;
* Recover: recover to the backup;
* Reset: even you don’t have any backup, you can also reset to the default settings;
And what items does Desktop Recovery can backup? Here’s it is:
* GNOME Desktop settings: Panel, Themes, Background;
* Application settings which use GConf: gedit, Compiz, Empathy, Nautilus…You know, almost every desktop applications;
* System components: Input method (ibus), network-manager, proxy…
You can see, Desktop Recovery covers almost everything of desktop/applications.
One thing You MUST know: it will only operate with the setting, not the files related with the setting. E.G. It will backup the setting about the background name, but not the real background file.